The second external review of the thematic assessment of the interlinkages among biodiversity, water, food and health (nexus assessment) is open from 20 November 2023 to 14 January 2023.
The second external review, which focuses on the second draft of the chapters and the first draft of the summary for policymakers of the assessment, is one of the most important phases in the IPBES assessment process. The second external review is addressed to Governments and interested and qualified experts, including scientists, decision makers, practitioners and other knowledge holders. To ensure the highest scientific quality and policy relevance of the assessment, the Multidisciplinary Expert Panel is seeking peer review from the widest-possible participation of experts from all relevant disciplines and backgrounds. To ensure consistency with and continuity from the first external review, those who participated in the first review are particularly invited to send comments.
If you would like to participate as an expert reviewer in this external review, please follow these steps:
- Register as a if you have not already done so;
- Register to ;
- Once registered, you will receive an email providing confidential access to the draft chapters, summary for policymakers, and glossary of the assessment;
- Comments must be submitted in English using the Excel comment template available on the same webpage as the draft documents;
- Comments must be submitted electronically via the IPBES website; when you are ready to submit your comments, please upload your completed Excel template no later than 14 January 2024 using the «Add Review» button on the same page as the draft documents (you must be logged in to upload your template);
- If you encounter any technical issues uploading your comments template, please contact .
Two online dialogues with stakeholders, including practitioners, in the context of the second external review of the assessment, are scheduled during the review period:
- 18 December 2023: 10 a.m. - 12.p.m. CET
- 18 December 2023: 6 - 8 p.m. CET
Dr. Eva Spehn
Swiss Biodiversity Forum
House of Academies